Friday, April 16, 2010

Chilean Style Hot Dog (Completo)


Chile’s fast food choice is the hot dog. They love their hot dogs with a mound of different condiments. So, how is that Chilean you say? Well I’m adding Chilean food staple “Palta” or simply an avocado spread. I know what you’re thinking avocado on a hot dog, weird. But trust me when I say it’s scrumptious. I remember when I first started dating my husband I made “Completos” for him. At first, his look was “um, ok?” but then he ate one and then four Completos later, he fell in love! My dad was equally impressed with him considering most Chileans can only eat one or two at most.
I never realized how many different hot dog combo toppings there are but here is a quick rundown of what you would see if you went to a hot dog joint in Chile.
Tomato, Mayo
Tomato, Avocado
Mayo, Avocado
Italiano- Tomato, Mayo, Avocado
Completo- Tomato, Mayo, Avocado and Sauerkraut
Dinamico- Tomato, Mayo, Avocado, Sauerkraut, Relish and Mustard
For the sake of tradition, I am going to have to go with “Completo” which consists of Tomato, Mayo, Avocado and Sauerkraut. This is what I grew up eating literally year round and I swear for an easy birthday menu my parents would make this. Get the sauerkraut that comes in a bag usually next to the hot dogs in the supermarket and submarine rolls found next to the deli counter. Now usually you boil the hot dogs but I love a crisp grilled hot dog. I guess that’s just the American in me, just taste better!
Completo
1 pack of hot dogs
Submarine rolls
1 large tomato, chopped, season with salt
2 avocados (Avocado Spread)
Mayonnaise
1 bag Sauerkraut
Boil hot dogs as directed. Layer the ingredients on top of sub roll as follows: hotdog, sauerkraut, tomato, avocado and spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on top.

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I just got back from a trip to Chile, and while I had tried almost all the food I encountered on my trip before we went, one thing I hadn't tried was a Completo. I was skeptical, but my husband told me it was worth it, and boy was it! One bite and I was in love. The palta definitely makes it so much better than a regular hot dog, but so does the mysterious American sauce! My husband has searched high and low in the past to find American Sauce in the states with no luck. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Simply Yours Designs